Thursday 5 April 2007

Easter Cake Bake

Chocolate Cup Cakes for Easter Time
This is my first entry for a bloggers event, and it sounds like a lovely sweet one - it’s for the Easter Cake Bake hosted by Julia at A Slice of Cherry Pie. Here is the link if you’d like to have a look or even take part too! http://asliceofcherrypie.blogspot.com/2007/03/lets-get-baking.html.

These come from Proof of The Pudding by Phil Vickery. I bought the book when it was published 3 to 4 years ago, and have been meaning to try these since. We always seem to be quite hectic at Easter weekend, and if it’s beyond Easter – well the eggs have been consumed and are no longer available for baking! So this year I thought, right I’m making them and that’s that.

This recipe is for Chocolate Cup Cakes, now although that is their title in the book, chocolate eggs are listed in the ingredients, so I haven’t added my own touch, well except in the type of eggs used! So they are meant for Easter time. I used my much loved pastel chocolate eggs. Don’t get me wrong I like higher cocoa solids chocolates as well, but these are just so pop-able.

The sponge for the cupcakes is a basic mix with some chopped chocolate chips added. The icing is made deep in flavour with the addition of chocolate, coffee and cocoa powder, and there is a bit of liquid glucose as well so it is super smooth in consistency. I tried one out of the fridge, but the cake part didn’t like the cold, so stored them at room temperature for a little while (under a cake dome) and all was well again. The icing in particular is a real chocolate hit - but I just can’t resist those little eggs.

I will give you Phil’s recipe ingredients as they appear in the book, but I did change the chocolate icing by using half milk and half dark chocolate instead of all bitter chocolate. I have changed the method a little as well, by adding the chopped chocolate to the hot cream. Phil melts the chocolate and combines the hot cream with it – you choose!

Chocolate Cup Cakes

115g unsalted butter, softened
115g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
a pinch of vanilla powder
115g self raising flour
10g cocoa powder
55g bitter chocolate, chopped

for the chocolate icing
175g bitter chocolate, chopped
175ml whipping cream
20ml (4 teaspoons) liquid glucose
2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) instant coffee
10ml (2 teaspoons) cocoa powder
24 chocolate mini eggs

Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/GasMark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with cases.
Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, gradually add the eggs until incorporated, then the vanilla powder, self raising flour, cocoa and chopped chocolate. Do not over work the mixture.
Spoon into the cases and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until well risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Bring the cream, glucose, coffee and cocoa almost to a boil. Take off the heat and stir in the chocolate leave for a few seconds and whisk until smooth. Leave to cook slightly.
When the icing has started to thicken spoon over the waiting cakes, filling right up to the top of the cases and top with the mini eggs. Leave in the fridge to just set.
Makes 12.

6 comments:

Lady M said...

So festive and beautiful! Good for you for giving them a go finally. :)

xoxo
Ilana

Gemma said...

Yum, these look delicious. I wanted to make the easter nest cake from Feast this weekend but am having people over for dinner tomorrow who aren't really into chocolate :( Maybe I'll try and make a mini one for Sunday.

Gemma x

Kathryn said...

Mmm - they look so pretty! I love cupcakes and particularly pretty ones!

I'm thinking of making cupcakes too - maybe the ones on the cover of last month's Sainsburys mag, as they look cute.

Gemma - I've made that cake before (not for Easter but for a friend with a Mini egg fetish) and it's really nice!

Kathryn x

Anna's kitchen table said...

KJ, the cupcakes look beautiful!

pistachio said...

KJ the cupcakes look so festive, love the gold liners.

hugs
pi xxx

Paola Westbeek said...

Gorgeous cupcakes, KJ! I think chocolate cupcakes are one of my weaknesses, btw...and yours look SO delicious...not to mention cute!

Happy Easter!

Paola