Tuesday 3 April 2007

Pasta with Spicy Sausage and Cream



Pasta with Spicy Sausage and Cream

This is a fabulous pasta dish from Rachel Allen’s Rachel’s Favourite Food. This I think this is one of my favourite pasta dishes ever, along with Giada’s mushroom and Marsala sauce from Everyday Italian, and Nigella’s meatball pasta from Nigella Bites. Mind you I do have a bit of a thing for chorizo sausage, so that might explain it.

The tomato sauce it a little buttery, a little creamy, garlicy, herby and as spicy as you like with the red pepper flakes. I sometimes make it without the pepper flakes and although it doesn’t give the chorizo added depth my little girl loves it too. I generally make half this amount, and it halves brilliantly. It’s a really easy recipe, and you could easily do it on a weeknight for the family, but it’s special enough for the weekend or friends too. The pasta I use in the picture is small tubes because my little one was eating it, but if it’s for adults then penne is my first choice. I did have mini penne for a while but have run out of it just now. Trip to the Italian Deli in order!

Pasta with Spicy sausage and Cream

25g butter
700g ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or use 800g tinned tomatoes)
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp Rosemary, chopped
1 pinch fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp caster sugar
225g chorizo sausage, cut into ½cm slices
1 pinch red chilli pepper flakes
6 fl oz double cream
2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
500g penne, or use rigatoni or farfalle
50g Parmesan Cheese, grated

1 Melt the butter in a large saucepan, and add the chopped tomatoes, garlic and rosemary. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and the sugar (the sugar will help bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes).
2. Cook for about five minutes, until the tomatoes have just begun to soften.
3. Add the sausage to the pan with the chilli flakes, cream and half the chopped parsley. Simmer until the mixture has reduced by half, stirring frequently about 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, as necessary.
4. Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, until al dente. Drain and toss with the sauce.
5. Transfer the pasta to a large heated serving bowl and scatter with the grated Parmesan cheese and the remaining parsley. Serves 6.

13 comments:

Mara said...

Ooooh, Kelly-Jane, I've got tonight's dinner! Thanks a million :)

Lady M said...

KJ, do you think this is appropriate for Liam too? He just turned two, and my sister is thinking of new things to feed him. Would the chorizo sausage be too much for his belly?

Looks beautiful. I'm glad Sophie enjoyed her mum's cooking. :) Who wouldn't?!

xoxo
Ilana

Kelly-Jane said...

Mara - I hope you like it, it really is one of my absolute favourites!

Ilana, Sophie started to eat things that chorizo had been cooked with at about 2 and a half, but I haven't tried her with the actual sausage - I'm grading it in. LOL. I wouldn't give her the chilli flakes though!

I'm really pleased that she is trying stronger flavours now, makes life a bit easier. Liam might like the pasta with the sauce though - is he still in his orange phase? :)

KJxx

Joyce said...

The penne with rosemary cream sauce is one of my favorites. Using chorizo sausage really 'kicks it up a notch' as Emeril would say! Nice job.

Freya said...

Yum! This reminds me of a Nigel Slater recipe I cook but yours has the delicious addition of tomatoes too!

Kathryn said...

KJ, I watched Rachel make this recently on an old episode of Rachel's Favourite Food and it looked horribly heavy and rich. And now I see yours and it looks divine!!! Funny how impressions can change. We'll try this one soon. Mmm.

Kathryn x

Anonymous said...

This sounds (and looks) like such a satisfying dish! I almost poked the computer screen with a fork. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)

Lady M said...

Thank you, KJ!

xoxo

Ilana

Anna's kitchen table said...

KJ, I love this dish! It was you who recommended it to me anyway I seem to remember!

xx

Kelly-Jane said...

Thanks again :)

Joyce, it's really bursting with flavour!

Freya, that Nigel dish rings a bell, will have to look it up.

Kathryn It's not heavy at all, if you are in any doubt, add green salad and that will make sure :)

Ari, hi! Lovely to see you.

Anna, you've made it? I'm so glad you liked it too.

KJxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks, will give this a go. yum, bunty

Anonymous said...

I just made this for dinner tonight, and I am wowed. It comes together super-fast, and gives you a lot of control over how much heat, cream, and garlic/herbiness you want. And the parmesan at the end is a MUST. Totally simple, satisfying and utterly delicious. Many thanks!!!

Thanks,
Jessie

Kelly-Jane said...

Jessie, glad you liked it :) Thank you for posting a comment.