Saturday 5 May 2007

Banana Cream Pie - A Taste of Yellow

Banana Cream Pie (with apologies for this awful dark picture)


This post is to link in with a blogging event that is going on at the moment A Taste Of Yellow an event to promote cancer awareness, LIVESTRONG Day is on 16th May. I decided to make a Banana Cream Pie for this yellow event.


You are a rare soul if your life has been completely untouched by cancer, in family, friends and colleagues. My only close encounter with the cancer was a few years ago when my Grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer and was given 2 weeks to live, she only survived 5 days. So our experience was very short and hard hitting.


This is another comforting sounding pudding. I can remember seeing on a TV documentary about Elvis, that one of his favourite puddings was banana pudding. So desirable was this pudding that according to ‘Are You Hungry Tonight – Elvis’ Favourite Recipes’ it was made daily at Graceland to make sure the king got his fix if he wanted it! Banana pudding and banana cream Pie seem to me to have a lot in common, they both have a custard, bananas, cream and a flour based part – pastry in the pie and vanilla wafers in the pudding. Sounds like a classic combination to me! Gooey, fruity, creamy, crispy, yummy.


So banana cream pie it was. I made it from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking From My Home to Yours. I just love this book (in case you hadn’t guessed!) and I have to restrain myself from making something sweet from it everyday (a weight issue, as we would eat too much) – so I’m trying to go with once or twice a week.


I haven’t been this obsessed with a book since Nigella’s Feast was published! But hey, I wouldn’t have the blog title I chose if I wasn’t really obsessed by books. Dorie’s books differ from most of the books I cook from. I don’t think I’ve altered any of her recipes, and I alter so many recipes a bit – just a tinker here and there, but that not a bad thing (well I don’t think anyway) it’s just knowing your own taste and that of your nearest and dearest.

Anyhow, the pie’s base was the good for almost anything pie dough (pastry). Then a vanilla pudding made lovely and warmly spicy with cinnamon and nutmeg, cream whipped with a little sugar and sour cream, folded in at the end and of course the bananas. They were layered: crust, pudding, bananas, pudding, bananas, pudding and cream. Apologies for the picture, I had to take it quite quickly, and although I managed some slice pics, they were just too blurry - believe me when I say this was the best one. BUT it's for such a good cause I really wanted to take part. Now one of these days I’ll have to try the banana pudding too!


Barbara at Winos and Foodies is the host and she will do a round up on the actual day May 16th of all foods yellow. Thank you for hosting a serious edged fun event.

18 comments:

Peabody said...

It is a really great cookbook.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Okay, you've done it. I'm getting that book. Lovely post KJ,sounds yum and right with you on trying not to make too many sweet things. Infact if you have any healthy cookbook recommendations I could probably do with getting some. Sorry about your Grandma. Amanda x

Maggie said...

I keep on reading about this wonderful cookery book. Maybe I should get a copy.

Brilynn said...

I love Dorie. I haven't made this one yet but I keep thinking about it. The problem is that I would eat it all myself... It'll happen eventually.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly-Jane! My condolences for your Grandmother...

Lovely entry - and I too am a huge fan of Dorie's book - I know what you mean about needing restraint! LOL!

Freya said...

A great entry for a great cause!
So sorry to hear about your grandma too, that is very quick.
I'm sure the pie was divine!

Laura said...

Loving Dorie seems to be a given these days! Pic may be dark but I see cream and I see a beautiful crust so I'm happy. I find it really hard to get good close up shots too but can't invest in a new camera just yet!

vonsachsen said...

KJ, they do count, I´m almost sure :) I think I´ve seen it somewhere in Barbara´s post that you could use all kind of yellow food like saffron, lemons AND bananas.
Your pie looks yummy:)

vs xx

Cheryl said...

Your pie looks so good. I have yet to get Dorie's book, but you are tempting me now.

Joe said...

I've got so many recipes tagged to make from this book and have already made quite a few... not a dud yet!

Helene said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother but what a good looking tribute to cancer victims, fighters and survivors.
I told hubby one DB had tried Dorie's recipe with success and I feel he's going to bug me about making it!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

I just found my way over here from Little Foodie and I love what I am seeing! I must have about 300 cookbooks myself, slight obessesion I am thinking! I think I may have found a few more to add to my collection now though!

Unknown said...

Yum - anana Pie, wonderful entry. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I meant Banana!

Lisa said...

I did not know about that book. Thanks for bringing attention to it, and the event.

Kelly-Jane said...

Thank you everyone for your comments :)

Marie, I've tried to log on to comment on your blog, but I can't seem to manage, but your blog is great!

KJxx

Anonymous said...

So we know what happens if you eat Banana Pudding every day...
This looks like a great Pie~ I will have to give it a try!
I posted a like on my little yellow roundup...nothing like the great job Barbara did!