Tuesday 15 May 2007

Ditilini with Mushrooms and Artichokes


This is a Giada De Laurentiis pasta from Everyday Pasta. I changed it by halving the pasta and leaving the sauce the same. Which is something I do quite often, it probably stems from me having had a gluten intolerance for a few years. Very fortunately after I was pregnant the shock and re-boot to the system seems to have cleared it for the main part, but if I eat too much bread or pasta it can flare up a bit. So my remedy is to eat a bit less of the the lovely carb-y pasta.

We thought this was really very good, the sauce was not runny, it just coated the pasta more thickly. Mushrooms, Marsala and cream, a classic combination in themselves, but with a bit more added here. I used tinned well drained artichokes because I have never seen them frozen here and fresh is a nice treat for a very short time in the Summer months.

I served this as an all inclusive side dish to some roasted chicken. The pasta shape is ditalini, little fingers or thimbles, I discovered it last year when making another recipe from Giada’s Family Dinners. I am very fond of the little shapes, and they are a bit more dainty for a side dish. To make it with the full amount of pasta suggested by Giada just use 500g pasta, but you get more vegetables per person for a side dish with half.

Ditilini with Mushrooms and Artichokes

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 pound mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned and finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 3/4 teaspoon
1 cup dry Marsala wine
1/2 pound frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1/2 cup cream
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
250g ditalini pasta
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
freshly ground black pepper

Place the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Saute, stirring occasionally, until all the moisture has evaporated and the mushrooms have cooked down, about 10 minutes. Add the Marsala and continue cooking until almost all the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Stir in remaining salt. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and add it into the mushrooms, Marsala and onions. Add the artichoke hearts, Parmesan and cream and cook until the artichokes are heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

12 comments:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Please send by courier! Feet are pretty digusting aren't they?! :)

Joe said...

If I can ever get Jeff to admit he actually likes mushrooms, this looks like something I'd like to try!

vonsachsen said...

Mmm, I would love this, cream and Marsala can´t be wrong in a pasta dish. Unfortunately, I can´t eat pasta either, so ...I´ll just have to look at it :)

Sara said...

This sounds so great! I've got a few recipes at home that call for Marsala but I never remember to buy some. I will have to so I can make this.

Kathryn said...

Yum! This looks good. I really need to buy that book....

pistachio said...

I've never tried that pasta shape, I must look out for it.

Artichokes have a long season here and we love them. This sounds a delicious combination.

pi xxx

Peabody said...

I own that cookbook, I some how missed this the mushroom and artichoke recipe...I will have to go search!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I totally love mushrooms and marsala. This combo looks so tasty. Easy to make, too. I've got to bookmark it for later!

Lis said...

Okay you guys.. I am so getting this book. THAT looks amazing, Kelly-Jane! I'm still stuffed from dinner, but yet I want some of what you're having! =)

xoxo

Fin said...

I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks Polvo de raíz de Ashwagandha

Unknown said...

There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Thank you for your clear information. Mushroom substrate

Unknown said...

I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject. Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent. mushroom grow kit uk