Wednesday 23 May 2007

Hot Chicken Salad and Prawn Creole

Hot Chicken Salad

I’ve been reading Paula Deen again recently and she has so many recipes I’d like to try. I can’t try them all because some of the standard shop bought products she uses I can’t lay hands on easily, but there are many others too. I’m really fascinated by Paula, and I love to read her stories about her family and friends, she seems to be such a character. She is so upbeat, and clearly from her books it hasn’t all been a bed of roses for her, but she is so spirited ya’ll! I loved the film Steel Magnolias, and cooking Paula’s recipes (or my versions of them) makes me think I’m a Southern Belle, well for a brief while anyway!

I tried a couple of recipes from Paula Deen & Friends Living It Up Southern Style. The first is a hot chicken salad, hot as in cooked in the oven – not spicy. It was cooked chicken mixed with mayo, cheese, celery, almonds and seasonings, then topped with crisps. Paula says in her introduction that you don’t have to use the crisps as a topping, but it wouldn’t be the same without them. As a one time crisp addict I felt it my duty to give it a go, and it was really very good! An easy weeknight dinner for leftover chicken.


Prawn Creole

The second recipe is called Patty’s Shrimp Creole, and it was another winner, light, fresh, a little spicy and even pretty healthy! I only used ½ a teaspoon of mild chilli powder with four shakes of Tabasco sauce and it was plenty hot for me, but if you like it hot hot hot it would be easy to turn the chilli scale up. Here is my rendition of Paula’s friend’s recipe. It was supposed to serve 6, but I’d say 3 to 4 if you love prawns as much as us.

Prawn Creole
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
½ cup chopped onions
½ cup chopped celery
1 garlic clove, chopped or minced
1 395g tin chopped tomatoes
8 oz tomato passata
salt
1 teaspoon sugar
½ to 1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon Worstershire sauce
dash hot sauce
500g cooked prawns
½ cup green peppers
cooked rice to serve

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion, celery and garlic until tender. Add in the tomatoes and passata, salt, sugar, chilli powder, Worstershire sauce and hot sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add in green pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes, then finally add in the prawns to heat through. Serve with lots of rice.

16 comments:

Shaun said...

Kelly-Jane - When I first started watching The Food Network, I thought Paula Deen was loony. Not only did I have trouble understanding the accent (I soon got used to it), I couldn't believe anyone would use so much oil and butter. Over time I appreciate her style of cooking - not that I follow it too often - and her endearing qualities. And her son Bobby is cute too! Since Paula, I have an appreciation for some Southern comforts, especially good crab cakes and hush puppies.

Anna's kitchen table said...

KJ, I love Paula Deen too, she's a pleasure to watch and read. I can't honestly say that I've made many of her recipes though.
I'll have a look for the ones you've made, they both look great!
xx

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Paula Deen has won me over -- not because I want to make her food, much of which is so laden with fat that it's hard to imagine eating it every day -- but because of her enthusiasm and what I think is her genuine optimism about life. The prawn creole recipe looks delicious, and I'm going to try that one. Thanks, y'all!

Lis said...

They both sound delicious, Kelly-Jane. =)

I've been a HUGE (in more ways than one) fan of Paula's for years.. many of her recipes are on my blog. Bless her cholesteral laden heart. :D

Ohh and I agree with Shaun - Bobby is hot. heee!

xoxo

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Mmmm! An old school friend's mum used to make a (hot) creamy chicken dish with crisps on the top, served with mashed potatoes. Comfort food or what?! I'm going to have a go as you've just reminded me. I would imagine this salad would be pretty good too. As for your Prawn Creole - delicious! I love food like that on a really hot day, eaten in the shade outside. Amanda

Cheryl said...

Another fan of Paula here.

Love the warm chicken salad, that looks so good.

vonsachsen said...

I don´t know Paula Deen but that Prawn Creole looks great! Also, neither of these dishes sound too unhealthy to me, a little mayo in a chicken salad is yummy!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love the idea of hot chicken salad - it looks so tasty, Kelly-Jane!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi KJ, Just incase you don't check back for a few days. I hadn't seen it either so I asked Julia and she said that Sainsbury's had some sea trout. It doesn't say it on the label but when you ask they say it's sea trout. I actually got mine somewhere else but again it just said trout and at first I thought it was salmon (was from Scotland). You could only tell the difference when cooking it as it made the house stink!!! Not that, that should put you off as it did taste good! Sorry this isn't relevant to this post but I don't have an e-mail for you. Amanda :)

Kelly-Jane said...

Shaun, I' not seen her yet, but have ordered a dvd. I routinely cut down on the fat and oil!

Anna, I've made a few of her recipes, but I do love to read her books too!

Lydia, that's what I think too, hope you enjoy it!

Lis, LOL! and both her sons are pretty cute :)

Amanda, that sounds interesting, you'll have to tell us more when you make it. Thanks for the sea trout info, I'll have to look closely next time I'm in Sainsbury's!

Cheryl, thank you :)

Eva, yes you are right they are both pretty healthy.

Patricia, I was really take with the hot salad, really unusal and deeply savoury.

KJxx

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Both your dishes look excellent! A great way to be a souther belle!
I have enjoyed watching Paula, she is wonderfully spirited and full of it. I also maybe enjoy her because she reminds me of my favorite aunt.

Warda said...

lovey dishes you have here. Every thing that has prawn in it, I am game.

Sara said...

I love Paula Deen! I've never made a recipe from her, but that chicken salad looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Is Paula the food network host who used to be agoraphobic but worked through her anxieties by learning how to cook? If yes, that is such a fascianting story!

At any rate, these dishes look great, especially the hot chicken salad. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

Kelly-Jane said...

Tanna, your Aunt sounds lovely :)

Rose, we are prawn mad in our house too!

Ari, yes that's her, she has come a long way.

KJxx

Karsin said...

I appreciate above recipe that you shared.
I shared them with family members and friends. They just like it.
Thank you for sharing and please keep them coming.
I have shared with everyone here, www.mealigg.com :)