Wednesday 1 August 2007

Yummy Salads

Here are three side salads and one main course chicken salad.
I have been making this potato salad for a good number of years now, and it is easily one of my favourite potato salads. I’m a girl for potatoes, and always try a potato salad at any party, I hope this is not judgemental, but there are some really horrible versions out there, especially mass catered ones; and potato salad is so easy to get right. Whether it’s tossed with dressing and bits or with sauteed bacon and shallots. This one comes from Sheila Lukin’s U.S.A. Cookbook. She describes it as the salad that blew her own top potato salad out of the water.

Lone Star Creamy Potato Salad
My variation on Sheila Lukin’s recipe from USA Cookbook. I added in the chives and spring onions, and use a tomato based sweet pickle.

1 ½ lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
3 hard boiled eggs, coarsley chopped
2 tablespoons snipped chives
8 spring onions, stems only, chopped
1/3 cup red pepper
¾ cup cour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sweet pickle relish
salt and pepper

Cook the potatoes until tender 15 – 20 minutes. When they are cool enough to handle chop them into approx 1 x 1 ½ inch cubes. Place in a bowl and add the eggs, chives, spring onions and red peppers. Mix everthing else in a bowl for the dressing them add to the bowl with the potatoes, egg and vegetables then toss gently until thoroughly combined.

Tomato and Feta Salad

The next two are from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa at Home.Tomato and feta salad has only come to me recently in her newest book, and it’s a clear winner. I leave the cheese on top because I like the pristine look of it, and if there is any left the cheese fairs better not tossed in. It’s a really good, well balanced salad. It just screams Summer as well. Although I made it first in Winter when it was a very cheery sight.

Couscous with Pine Nuts

This one also comes from Barefoot Contessa at Home, and comprises couscous mixed with butter, shallots, salt, pepper, taosted pine nuts, currants and some parsley. I like fruit and nuts in savoury dishes, so it’s right up my street. Even good cold as well!

Honey Pecan Chicken Salad

I made this one after seeing it on Cookie Baker Lynn’s blog. I mean honey and pecan nuts and chicken – how good does that sound! It’s a gorgeous chicken salad. This is my variation on Lynn’s salad. I used sweet onion relish. If you like honey, pecans and chicken you've got to make it!!

Honey Pecan Chicken Salad
(adapted from Cookie Baker Lynn) Serves 3-4.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish,
2 Tbsp spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 Tbsp honey
salt & pepper
scant 1/2 cup chopped celery
scant 1/2 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
4 cooked chicken breasts (about 2 cups)

Mix together the mayonnaise, relish, onion, honey, salt and white pepper in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the celery and pecans. fold in the chicken. Check the seasoning. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator.

17 comments:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I love potato salad too. They all look tasty and summery.

Sandy said...

Wow, you've been busy. I love salads too.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Yummy, indeed!
Great suggestions, Kelly-Jane!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

These all look wonderful -- I think I'm going to try the chicken salad first!

Anna's kitchen table said...

These all look so yummy Kelly-Jane, can just imagine all of them spread out at some wonderful Summer buffet!
xx

Anonymous said...

Great spread of salads! :) I'm a potato girl myself :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you liked the chicken salad. It's one of my favorites. Your potato salad looks delicious. What kind of potatoes do you use? I've got some red and gold. Would that work?

Kelly-Jane said...

Amanda, you should give it a go.

Sandy, I make a lot of salads, both main and veg!

Patricia, thank you!

Lydia, it's really good, I've made it again!

Anna, they would be good, abit of this a bit of that...

Joey, there is just something about potatoes...

Lynn, I used a UK potato with red skin called Desiree, but in this picture I used new potatoes of some kind probably Charlotte. I hope that helps - as long as it'll keep it's shape it should be ok.

KJxx

Belinda said...

What a super variety of salads! They all sound really good, and yes, I agree with you on the potato salad. Its seems like it would be easy to get right, but that's definitely not always the case. I'm looking forward to trying this version. :-)

Lady M said...

I love the look of that potato salad. Am really in the mood for a potato salad at the moment... Thanks for the inspiration!

xoxo
Ilana

Nora B. said...

Those are indeed yummy salads, thanks for the ideas. I think the Couscous with Pine Nuts is my favourite.

Anonymous said...

You're not being judgemental, it's true: there are many, many lousy potato salads out there. I'm always stunned when someone makes one so bad you can barely swallow your first bite. Potato salads are so easy and they are usually so delicious! Your salads look great, looking at these photos makes me want to go to a family barbeque.:)


Ari (Baking and Books)

Peabody said...

Mmmm, I am all over the chicken salad!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

thats a lot of salad ideas.I love the potato n chicken salad...more filling , and then the tomato n feta ...veggie option.

Anonymous said...

All of those look great but that tomato and feta salad... I must make that soon!

Kelly-Jane said...

Belinda and Ilana, I hope you like it if you give it a go!

Nora, I've made it so many times, even my Mum who is pretty anti cousous likes this one!

Ari, that is it exactly! :)

Peabody, it's really yummy!

Kate, they do fill you up! :)

Kristen, thank you :)

KJxx

Lis said...

Catching up on some much needed blog reading! And what do I find here? But all kinds of new recipes that have me drooling =)

Starting with these salads.. I'm particularly in lust with the honey, pecan chicken salad and that potato salad! YUM! (course they'd be the 2 most fattening ones har!)

Well all things in moderation.. so yes, I'll be trying these! :D

xoxo