Sunday 2 November 2008

Nigella Christmas

Christmas Puddini Bonbons
It was with much excitement that I received Nigella Christmas (by Nigella Lawson) last month! How lucky we are to get a new Nigella book two years in a row. It’s a bigger book in format than her others, very glossy and so many pictures all the way through. There are some recipes that have appeared in print before, but I’m ok with this as I know what I cook on Christmas Day is more or less the same every year; it’s all the surrounding satellite cooking and entertaining that changes for me. Having said that though there are a lot of new ones as well, my favourite chapter is Come On Over, I’d like to cook the whole chapter =)

There are many recipes I’d like to try, and I have made a start, my question for myself in relation to the blog was ‘Would I make a ‘project’ of it?’ I’ve decided to make a mini project of it, much the same as the Nigella Express project from last year, but on a smaller scale in the run up to Christmas itself. Same format as last time, many pictures with the just a few recipes.

Some new purchases have been made after seeing Nigella Christmas: some pretty pink pots (the ones that the chocolate chestnut pots are pictured served in in the book, a couple of liqueurs, lychee and peppermint schnapps, PX sherry and an amazing cake tin, which is very pretty in itself.
Parsley-ed Fish Gratin
My first make wasn’t sweet – I could hardly believe it myself! I made the Parsley-ed Fish Gratin, which I changed only a bit by using half the parsley, this wasn’t a conscious decision, I just didn’t buy enough! It was lovely, the crispy potatoes on top were gorgeous too. I also used 50/50 smoked and unsmoked fish.
Chocolate Chestnut Pots
Next were Chocolate Chestnut Pots, I made these before buying the pink pots, but they are lovely, extremely rich in taste due to the sweetened chestnut puree.
Christmas Puddini Bonbons
Christmas Puddini Bonbons, from the minute I saw these in the book, I knew I had to make them, they are just so cute. Well, this coupled with the fact I have a real liking for Thorntons chocolates shaped like Christmas puddings. They were everything I hoped they’d be, and just on or two is a real little feast in itself, mmmm. I bought the Pedro Ximenez sherry for this, and it’s a gorgeous drink, I reckon you’d like it if you like sherry, marsala, madeira or any of the sweet dessert wines. It has an incredible taste of raisins. I found the mixture quite fiddly to roll into, extremely sticky (!) but definitely worth the effort.

29 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'd like so much to visit your bookcase ! I like the puddini !

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

Have just aquired the book and can't wait to get started. I look forward to reading your results.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I got the Nigella Christmas book last week. I waited two days before opening it - until I could sit down and read it without being interrupted. A difficult task in this house.

Look forward to your mini project. x

Coby said...

What a delicious start K-J:) I love that you have stocked your pantry in readiness for many recipes too:) I can't wait to see more delicious recipes....your fish pie has me drooling, so thank you for starting with savoury:D

hungryandfrozen said...

Oh to be living under your roof at the moment! Everything looks delicious. Gorgeous wee puddings :)

Anonymous said...

KJ, I always said that Nigella had nice Bon Bons!!! Seriously though, yours look so cute and Christmassy that I gave you an award for them on my blog!
There is so much to choose from in Nigella's latest that I don't know where to start though!!

Nickki said...

Wow Kelly Jane everything looks so delicious! The fish gratin looks delicious and those bon bons are so adorable! I must buy a bottle of that sherry, it sounds so good. I've only made one thing so far from Nigella christmas, the granola which was lovely.

Really looking forward to your mini NC project :)

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous start KJ, I've the gratin bookmarked it looks gorgeous.

Maria♥ said...

Kelly everything looks so Christmassy!! I love her new book and I have lots of yummy recipes book-marked.

Your puddini's look so cute.

Maria
x

Anna said...

Tee hee! I have ordered some of those liqueurs too - peppermint hot chocolate, here I come!

I tried the recipe for Cranberry and White Choc cookies on Friday. They were gone by yesterday and they were a big hit with everyone - a lovely texture, quite firm and a little bit more interesting with the oats and pecans. I am very much looking forward to seeing you continue to cook through the book (and will be joining in along the way). :)

Deborah said...

Yum - they all look so good! And another cookbook to add to my "want" list!

Anonymous said...

Love your new Bundt pan -- I have quite a collection, but not one quite like that. Beautiful.

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Yay, you got the cake tin!
I can't wait to get cooking from this book either, I love your pudding bonbons, they are so cute!

Peabody said...

The bon bon looks fun.

Anonymous said...

The bonbons are so cute! The little decorations on top were the perfect touch :).

Maggie said...

Good choice of recipes from her new book - they all look fabulous.
That tin looks to die for!

Gemma said...

I'm loving the book too and also tempted by the fish gratin. Oh and I want that tin!

Gemma x

Rhyleysgranny said...

You have been busy. It all looks lovely. I can't wait to make the Christmas pudding bon bons. I mad a little pudding specially for it.
xxx

Rosie said...

What a fantastic start K.J. to Nigella's new Christmas book! Everything looks so good and I can't wait to start using this book myself :)

Rosie x

Gemma said...

Hello. I've just tagged you in a meme all about your commenters at http://dressingfordinner.blogspot.com/2008/11/commenters-meme.html Hope you enjoy it.

Gemma x

Cynthia said...

I am coming to spend Christmas at your place :)

Reti said...

Wonderful blog!

I love Nigella, within short time I have bought 3 of her books and looking at your blog and pictures here, I have a feeling Nigella Christmas is going to be my Christmas present :).

Thinking About Food said...

wow KJ you have been so busy and so many fabulous offerings there! I too am thinking the fish dish is going to be my first NC foray!

Kelly-Jane said...

Thank you to everyone for leaving a comment :)

KJxx

Elle said...

Another great Nigella book. Must look for this one if only for that parsley potato fish dish. Mmm.

Anonymous said...

I did not know she had a new book out! Off to add it to my amazon list. Thanks for the heads up.

Unknown said...

Hello KJ,

Please can you let me know where you got the fir tree shaped bundt tin from... I have been searching on the internet for the past couple of days (!) but no luck!!
Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Kelly-Jane said...

Hello Lubna,

I bought mine from here:

http://www.decuisine.co.uk/cookshop/bakeware/christmas-tree.html?ref=froogle

They are out of stock just now, but it says they will get more in. Hope this helps!

KJxx

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Beautiful. I was very impressed with Nigella as always and made her Puddini Bon-bons, too. Perhaps I'll blog about it in the next day or so.

Have a great Xmas!