Wednesday 8 July 2009

The Sweet Life In Paris


The Sweet Life In Paris by David Lebovitz. This is another book that I pre-ordered months before publication. A new David book – how could I not?! It’s not a recipe book like his others. That isn’t to say there aren’t recipes in there, but it’s more a look at Parisians, Paris and the life of an American pastry chef in Paris, and how he has survived the good the bad and the unusual – with recipes included. Any readers of David’s fantastic blog will know he is capable of extremely witty writing and, it goes without saying (but I’ll say it anyway) fabulous recipes.
The reason this one hasn’t appeared on here before is that I was attempting to keep it for a trip we have planned, and it’s the perfect holiday book for (1) a foodie (2) a lover of Paris or (3) fan of David’s recipes / writing. Any one would be a good enough reason to buy it, I’m all three, so there was no question about it. I love Paris, it is one my favourite cities to visit, and being a thinker I have often wondered what it’s like for the resident non-Parisien, living there but not on holiday. What are the apartments like, the food, the codes of conduct? I would have certainly realised it would be different, but how different? You’ll have to read it for yourself to see. I hope I don’t frustrate you here dear reader, but I don’t want to spoil the read for anyone, just give an insight.
So after a day of making Ice Creams from his last book The Perfect Scoop I picked up the Sweet Life In Paris on my way top bed one night and started reading long into the night. Just before I put it down I flipped through to the recipe index at the back….chicken tagine with apricots and almonds…fig-olive tapenade….dulce de leche brownies. DULCE DE LECHE BROWNIES if ever a recipe title lured me in that was it, and the next day I made them. None of the brownie chocolate character was lost, but neither was the dulce de leche a perfect treat of a brownie.
Now I thought I was through with trying new brownie recipes, really I did, I thought I had all occassions covered on the brownie front. A Martha Stewart one for everyday, a Maida Heatter one for a tropical hit, two of Dorie Greenspan’s: minty ones for my minty obsession and French ones for dinner parties. Well, these new one’s have a place too either as a with tea/ coffee on their own or with a little cream and strawberries for dessert. Real Wows either way.
Here is the link for the recipe from David’s website.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

These look and sound wonderful. I agree his blog is always a great read. Today it is raining and Paris sounds a very attractive option.........

Maria♥ said...

Wow those look amazing!! I love brownies and dulce de leche, definitely going to make these.

Maria
x

♥Rosie♥ said...

Those brownies are utterly divine k.J. Looks like a book I NEED ;0)

Kelly-Jane said...

Thank you for your comments =)