Wednesday 20 April 2011

Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake - Cake Slice Bakers April 2011

With raspberries and whipped cream

It’s Cake Slice Baker time again, and our cake comes from the book that is being cooked from for this year (October 2010 to September 2011) Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman published by The Taunton Press 2009.






The cake calls for cake flour which we don’t have in the UK. A substitution here is either ¾ cup plain flour and ¼ cup cornflour or 1 cup plain flour less 2 tablespoons, and replace the 2 tablespoons with cornflour. I made this cake twice (see below) and I thought measuring out one cup, taking out 2 tablespoons, and replacing them 2 tablespoons with cornflour worked best. This gives a substitution for one cup of cake flour.
In the making




This months cake is a cold oven cream cheese pound cake, unusual because you don’t pre-heat the oven. The purpose of this is to give a good crust, but still a tender crumb. I’ve certainly got a good crust, I was a bit alarmed by how dark is was when it came out of the oven, but it tasted fine and had a definite crust with a very tender, moist crumbed cake inside.

Cake and its silicone mould


I had to make this cake twice, the first one I made was resolutely stuck to the tin, and the cake came out tasting well, but looking a real shambles! I couldn’t have greased it well enough, but I’ve never had any issues with turning out cakes before, oh well, sigh. It didn’t go to waste though, as I put it out for the birds, and they along with three of my neighbours cats were seen tucking into it. Cats eat cake?! I hope it didn’t upset their tummies! Still I managed to bake a second one yesterday, I only made a half quantity and used a smaller silicone bundt cake mould. I’m very happy to say this second cake turned out of the mould with no problems.



The flavour in the cake was some grated ginger, lemon zest and vanilla extract, this gives an unusual but very pleasant flavour. I served mine for dessert tonight with raspberries and whipped cream. Mmm.



Do have a look at some of my fellow cake bakers cakes on the Cake Slice Bakers blog roll.



Next up: Gran's Kitchen

13 comments:

Champa said...

Funny I never have problems with cake sticking and it happened to me with this one. Luckily it wasn't bad and I didn't have to re do it.

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Oooh - I like your Bundt tin too. Ah - too much temptation. A new obsession for me, I think!

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

By the way, where in Aberdeenshire are you? We are near Maud at the moment but moving to Westhill next week.

Anonymous said...

Great job with this month's cake! I love how you paired it with the beautiful raspberries :)

Emily said...

Good results on your 2nd attempt! Woot woot! Your cake texture looks fab.

BTW, I thought with silicone baking pans, we dont' get brown sides; but your cake tanned.

Katie said...

Love how tall and golden your cake is. Looks gorgeous, especially with those raspberries. yum

Rachel said...

The cake is nicely browned. Mine was nowhere that but must tell you this was the best pound cake recipe.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I think you did a fabulous job with the challenge. This is my first visit to your site, so I took some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Aveen said...

I have a very similar silicone bundt tin and it stuck horribly the one time I used it :( Really must have another go. I'm very intrigued by this cake, I've never put a cake into a cold oven before and I fancy having a go at this - will have to treat myself to a copy of the book.

Maria♥ said...

Kelly, this cake looks and sounds wonderful. I also have this book but think I've only ever baked from it once!

Maria
x

Monica H said...

I've been feeding the birds all kinds of things lately. I'm sure they loved your cake too!

Kelly-Jane said...

Louise, we are in the country beyond Meldrum.

Online pharmacy reviews said...

I love your blog so much, but I cannot come visit it very often because every time I come I see amazing and delicious recipes that I end up sinning if you know what I mean hahaha